I like bold statements. I like swagger. I like the confidence that comes from knowing you’re right and believing you have the skill and resources necessary to win the day. When I watch football there’s something about seeing my favorite running back push through a pile of thousand pound giants into the end zone to score a touchdown that makes me want to jump up and spike my TV remote!
There’s something special about bold statements and the will to achieve them. I serve at First Baptist Church Owasso. We’ve made some bold statements.
- We will not be the church that prays small prayers. We will ask God to do the impossible and recognize that if God doesn’t come through, all is lost.
- We will be the church that goes out of its way to reach people with the love of Jesus. We will go places we’ve never been before and do things we’ve never done before in order to share the gospel with people we’ve not yet met.
- We will be a generous church. We will give more than we think we can afford and trust God to provide. We will recognize that we are tremendously blessed and that because we have been given much we can give much. We will not shy away from trying to meet the needs of as many people as God entrusts to us. We will be the church that serves people and serves other churches.
- We will be the church that beats the odds. We will value our relationships more than our own rights or opinions. We will be quick to repent and quick to forgive. Like John 13:35, the world will know we are His disciples because of our love.
- Our church will see answers to impossible prayers when I begin to call on God for impossible things.
- Our church will connect people with the gospel when I connect with people and love them like Jesus does.
- Our church will be a generous church when I give generously to the church and to others.
- Our church will beat the marriage and relationship odds when I value my relationships more than my own rights or opinions.