Colossians 1:9-14 is a prayer Paul prayed for the people in the church at Colosse. It’s a great prayer for us to pray for one another.
“This is why I have never stopped praying for you since I heard about you. I ask God that you may know what He wants you to do. I ask God to fill you with the wisdom and understanding the Holy Spirit gives. Then your lives will please the Lord. You will do every kind of good work, and you will know more about God. I pray that God’s great power will make you strong, and that you will have joy as you wait and do not give up. I pray that you will be giving thanks to the Father. He has made it so you could share the good things given to those who belong to Christ who are in the light. God took us out of a life of darkness. He has put us in the holy nation of His much-loved Son. We have been bought by His blood and made free. Our sins are forgiven through Him.” – Colossians 1:9-14
Let’s break it down.
- Never stopped praying – it’s a constant conversation between Paul and God on behalf of the church at Colosse.
- That you may know what He wants you to do – You can’t live God’s will if you don’t know God’s will. Knowing his will starts with knowing him, his word and his people.
- Fill you with wisdom and understanding – wisdom is knowing what to do with what you know. Understanding is the confident recognition of the effect and outcome of our choices. The Holy Spirit provides this kind of insight.
- Lives will please the Lord, every good work, know more about God – a life that pleases God is a life of action. It’s a life of choices. It’s not doing one good thing. It’s doing every good work. I can’t do this on my own, but the more I learn about God, the greater capacity I have to make choices his way.
- Strength, joy, patience, endurance, thanks – These are gifts from God. Something God produces in you and through you to help you follow him and bless others. Strength to choose right. Joy from choosing right. Patience to give our right choices time to achieve their full effect. Endurance to stand even when making the right choice leads to harder circumstances and not easier. And finally thanks that God would choose us, involve us in his plan and give us what we need to succeed.
- He has made it so you could share the good things – In 7 days God created the world and every step of the way he declared it good. All the good things God has created he’s made available to his children.
- Took us out of darkness – Now we can see. We don’t have to be afraid.
- Put us in the nation of his much-love son – We are citizens of heaven. This world is not our home. Like an Ambassador from another country, we have diplomatic immunity from the laws of this world. In other words, we don’t have to live by the world’s rules anymore.
- We have been bought by his blood and made free – we once were slaves. Now we’re free. The price for our lives paid by the sacrifice of Jesus.
- Our sins are forgiven – you have been made right with God.
Let’s pray Paul’s prayer for the church at Colosse for one another today.
Thank you for the other Believer’s you’ve placed in my life and the way they love, encourage and challenge me. I won’t stop praying for these people. I pray that you will let them know what you want them to do. I pray that you will fill them with the wisdom and understanding the Holy Spirit gives so their lives will please the Lord and they will do every kind of good work, and know more about God. I pray that your great power will make them strong, and that they will have joy as they wait and do not give up. I pray that they will give thanks to you. You have made it so they could share the good things given to those who belong to Christ who are in the light. You took us out of a life of darkness. You have put us in the holy nation of your much-loved Son. We have been bought by your blood and made free. Our sins are forgiven through Jesus. This is our prayer for one another. Thank you.
I love you, in Jesus name –