a.k.a. – The Sabbath Day – a time for rest.
I’ve always pushed myself. I like how it feels to go further than you thought you could go, accomplish more than you imagined possible and do more while the sun shines! There are still new things to see, projects to pursue, another mountain to climb and more interesting people to meet.
I’ll sleep when I’m dead.
But that’s not really what the Bible says.
- Proverbs 23:4, “Do not overwork to be rich; Because of your own understanding, cease!”
- Ecclesiastes 3:1, “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven.”
- Matthew 11:28, “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”
- Psalm 127:2, “Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He gives His beloved sleep.
- Proverbs 3:21 & 24, “My son…keep sound wisdom and discretion…When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.”
Sometimes, the most godly thing you can do is rest.